When lighting needs replacement in the office, it is important to pay attention on whether the light bulbs are for indoor or outdoor use. Outdoor light bulbs are more variable. Typically, they are interchangeable for indoor and outdoor use. In contrast, indoor lights are not designed to withstand outdoor temperature changes. Discover which light bulbs are for indoor or outdoor use, or both.
First, the best way to figure out whether a light bulb can be utilized outdoors is by discovering the UL rating. Generally, most lighting fixtures are rated and tested by Underwriters Laboratories (UL). Also, UL has a specific rating for particular locations as well. Below are the different locations and with the corresponding UL rating:
- UL Listed- Dry Locations: labeled: “UL Listed”
- includes living rooms, dining rooms, bedrooms, hallways, kitchens, most bathroom areas
- UL Listed- Damp Locations: labeled “Suitable for Damp Locations” or “Suitable for Wet Locations”
- includes bathtubs, showers, indoor pool areas, utility rooms
- UL Listed- Wet Locations: labeled “Suitable for Wet Locations”
- used both wet indoor and outdoor locations
- includes gazebos, walkways, open patio and decks, outdoor dining areas
Note on damp rated products or fixtures. Utilize in outdoor areas only when they are fully covered and not exposed to water. For example, a covered patio.
Safe Light Bulb use for Specific Locations
Discover which types of light bulbs can be used indoors, outdoors, or both:
- LED Lights: used both indoors and outdoors
- Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs: used indoors and outdoors
- check the max temperature the bulb can endure from its packaging for outdoor use
- Incandescent Flood Light Bulbs: used both indoors and outdoors if not in contact with water
- used outdoors: incandescent flood light bulbs created to withstand elements
- Halogen Spotlights and Flood Light Bulbs: used indoors and outdoors
- Xenon Bulbs: used both indoors and outdoors (double check packaging for particular use)
- Metal Halide Light Bulbs: used indoors and outdoors
Contact Kirby Electric to Inspect Your Office Today
As Seattle’s premier electric company, Kirby Electric specializes in commercial and industrial electrical solutions. We provide top electrical services such as, lighting retrofits, emergency service repairs, preventative maintenance, and electrical inspections that best fit your building’s needs. Contact us today and request a quote at (253) 859-2000 or online here to learn more about our services.
I just remember when buying lightbulbs used to be relatively simple now you practically need to be a rocket scientist. I installed recessed lights in my kitchen ceiling with led bulbs. Not only do they flicker, but two of the bulbs which are suppose to last practically forever are already burned out. Frankly like most everything else, lighting had gotten too complicated but it works for the manufactures because when people buy the wrong thing they probably often done bother to take them back. It’s gotten to be a racket just like everything. It’s wonderful to have choices but honestly, do we really need so many choices! Just wondering if anyone else has similar frustrations or is it just me? Peace out and stay safe!